Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Advent Devotional - Day 4

Romans 5: 5:  Hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
There’s more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we’re never left feeling shortchanged. (Romans 5: 3 - 5, The Message)
We moved often when I was a child. But wherever we lived, in my Christmas stocking I would find an orange. I trusted the source of the love that left me an orange. I had hope that I would be taken care of, regardless of where my family lived, because I knew in my heart that Love is reliable. So, I had hope that the future would be good. My Christmas orange was just a hint of a love that extended far beyond Christmas morning.
Hope is knowing that the Source of Love is reliable. We live our lives based on the reality that God is at work, we are alert to what God may do next, this Advent and beyond. We are called to live creative lives, based on the joyful anticipation that our awesome God, who sent His Son at the right time, will not rest until the Kingdom comes and all creation sings “Joy to the World”.  Orange you glad!?
Rev. Caroline Vickery, Pastor, Delmont Presbyterian Church

No comments:

Post a Comment