Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Advent Devotional - Day 18

Philippians 4:4:   Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 
My memory of Advent 2012 is that I had just buried my husband of 41 years that October. Grief had the power to snuff out hope, peace and joy. The soon to come love candle would be too much to bear on Sunday morning. My life had become a wreath of snuffed candles.
I attended my first Blue Christmas service during that third week. I joined the gathering of blue, people who had lost loved ones. Through lighted candles in the darkness, comforting music and God's Word, I knew the Lord was near.  Although buried in sorrow, the joy of the Newborn King was reclaimed. Rejoice!
PRAYER
God of Renewal, fix our eyes upon you. Fill our hearts with joy we pray.  Amen.
Lynn Mance, Elder, Delmont Presbyterian Church and Authorized Preacher

No comments:

Post a Comment