Thursday, December 5, 2019

Advent Devotional - Day Five

I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies (Psalm 18:3)

When I picture an enemy, I think of Nazis. But enemies come in other forms: bullies make life miserable for some; opioids, alcohol, other substances and addictions want to ruin lives. Hunger, depression, loneliness, and anxiety: torment their victims. We cannot defeat our invisible enemies alone. Jesus came to earth to save us, to be our eternal friend as Emmanuel, God with us. We call upon Jesus, our friend, in times of need.

Gracious God, in this season of waiting, we call upon you to save us and redeem your creation. You are worthy of all praise and glory, Emmanuel. Amen.

Caroline Vickery is pastor of Delmont Presbyterian Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment