Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lenten Devotional - Day 14

Scripture: John 9:8-12
“The neighbors and those who had seen him before as a beggar began to ask, "Is this not the man who used to sit and beg?" Some were saying, ‘It is he.’ Others were saying, ‘No, but it is someone like him.’ He kept saying, ‘I am the man.’" (John 9:8-9)
  In my early years as an addictions counselor, I was amazed by the transformation; physically, emotionally, and spiritually that occurred with people in recovery. A few years into their recoveries many were unrecognizable compared to their former selves. One day, I was shopping with my wife when a woman run up and gave me a great, big hug. I had no idea who this woman was and my wife also wondered why some strange woman was hugging me. The woman told me who she was and I barely believed it, I had not seen her in five years when she completed treatment. She was 33 when I first met her, but she looked more like 55, because of her addiction. Now five years later, she looked her age.

  Recovery has a major impact on many, bringing back renewed health, strength, and appearance. In the reading from John, people could not believe this was the same man who was once blind and a beggar, “Others were saying, ‘No, but it is someone like him.’ He kept saying, ‘I am the man.’" (v. 9) His encounter with Jesus transformed his life. Often, people are unable to recognize a person in recovery. Many people nevertheless remain afraid of even interacting with recovering people, if known.

  I provided pulpit supply among many congregations when I worked as an addictions counselor. I introduced myself and revealed my full-time job. After worship this lead to many interesting conversations. People would seek advice about someone’s addiction. Often, someone would introduce themselves as a person who had been in recovery for 5, 10, 15 or more years. I asked if others in the church knew about their recovery and usually the answer was no. They often stated they had not shared this information, because they did not want to be identified by their old, former self. They hoped to only be identified as the person they now were in Christ. They were also concerned how others in the congregation might respond, if others knew.

  These individuals had a wonderful story of transformation, renewal, forgiveness, and grace to share, but they were fearful that others might not see it the same way. A chief reason for not speaking was that they did not know where the congregation and particularly, the church leadership stood on the issue of addiction. The church never let it be known where they stood on the problem of addiction in the community. They were afraid that if knowledge of their recovery became known, others would only see them through the eyes of their former selves and not the person they had become. We sometimes give silent signals that we don’t believe in stories of transformation into new creations through Christ. Where does your church stand, have you ever spoken about it, what silent signals are you unknowingly communicating, and what do you want your community to know about you?

Lee McDermott, Contributor

Remember in Prayer:  Individuals in recovery who keep the secret for fear that other will find them objectionable if their secret got out.

Click Here PDF - Day 14 Devotion

No comments:

Post a Comment