Saturday, April 8, 2017

Lenten Devotional - Day 34

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 6:1-13
“As we work together with him, we urge you also not to accept the grace of God in vain. For he says, "At an acceptable time I have listened to you, and on a day of salvation I have helped you." See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation!” (2 Cor. 6:1-2)
  “See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation!” Paul is eager to redirect the Corinthians attention to view the gospel of God’s grace witnessed around them with an urgency for fear that they will “accept the grace of God in vain” (v. 1). The fervent urgency of his comments begs the question: Why have the Corinthian Christians failed to see salvation and grace in their midst?

  As an addictions counselor, I began to understand that God had given me a remarkable opportunity to witness God at work in the world in ways I never imagined. At first I believed my responsibility was simply to help these individuals recover from their addiction. What I received was unexpected and lead me to a deeper understanding of my faith and practice. I had witnessed the amazing grace of God in these recovering people and I had obtained a wonderful gift.

  Paul summons us and the Corinthians to see and hear the cries of our own neighbors as they struggle with a host of problems. When we fail to acknowledge these cries for grace and salvation we are missing out on receiving a wonderful gift both for the church and us. Our inattention to their suffering leads us to the possibility “to accept the grace of God in vain.” (v. 1) Paul is calling us to not delay, “See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation!” (v. 2) this is the day we are called to act. Paul reminds the Corinthians that in day’s past he took the time to listen to them and helped them to gain salvation. Now it is our turn to do the same for our neighbor.

  Paul urges the church to open their hearts. Paul reminds the church that the gospel calls them to establish new patterns of responsibility and behavior toward the community around them. These new patterns should be reflected in their actions of gratitude, in the same way that God's gracious acts had been shown within their lives. Like the Corinthians, churches today struggle to know how to live faithfully and with gratitude. Sometimes that struggle produces strain in the very relationships that are meant to help church members live authentically and graciously. For Paul, failing to love one another is a sign of accepting the grace of God "in vain." Now is the day of salvation. Now is the time to exhibit faithfulness, not simply through words, but through action. Now is the time to live as witnesses of God's new creation.

  As a counselor, I relied upon the movement of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes the Holy Spirit calls me to patiently wait for the “acceptable time” when a AOD dependent individual was ready to surrender. When I thought, all might be lost, God surprised me. At the acceptable time the Holy Spirit led me to right moment, that God was preparing.

Lee McDermott, Contributor

Remember in Prayer:  Ask God to give you the patience to watch and wait for the "acceptable time" to do what is appropriate.

Click Here PDF - Day 34 Devotion

No comments:

Post a Comment