Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Lenten Devotional - Day 30

Scripture: Romans 5:3-11
“and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us. But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us.” (Rom. 5:5, 8)
  Over the years, I have extended many invitations to recovering people to join me during Sunday morning worship, frequently I am told, “I’ll go back to church after I get my act together.” In response, I’ve told them “God is ready for you now, I would hope the church could be the place where you can get your act together.” Sadly, many recovering people did not see it the way I did, they had come to believe that the church was unwilling to accept them until their act was together, that the church only accepted perfect people, not flawed.

  This approach to the church makes about as much sense as the person who only hires a housekeeper after they have cleaned the house. We don’t need something after we have already did it. Of course, the chances I will ever get my house clean is about as possible as I will ever get my act together completely as a person. I know I need God each day, if I have any chance to keep my act together. The church should be the place where we learn how it is God will help us become a better human being. Jesus does not call us to go and find disciples who are already disciples, no he says, “Go and Make Disciples.” Paul tells us that God proves he loves us first, while we still don’t have our act together.

  I did unfortunately learn on my own why many recovering people believed they needed to become perfect first. I had worked for many years to get churches to open their hearts and doors to accept those recovering from addiction, but repeatedly I was told by pastors and others these people were not welcome within their church. I don’t get angry often, but these comments did make me angry. What I saw within these recovering people were individuals eager and hungry to learn and practice the things God had to offer, but others too often told them it was beyond their reach.

  The general sense of Scripture is that we have all erred and messed up. "All we like sheep have gone astray and turned to our own way" (Isaiah 53:6). So, we need a pardon and we know it. This wonderful, life giving message is not just for us within the church, but for all, “For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” (v. 6) As the church, we are called together as the family and body of Christ, so we as a community can help one another, get our act together, recognizing that God first took the initiative, “But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us.” (v. 8)

Lee McDermott, Contributor

Remember in Prayer: Our ability to see God’s grace alive and well around us.

Click Here PDF - Day 30 Devotion

No comments:

Post a Comment